Food and my thoughts on life: written by Sarah Collins, Food and Environment Working Group Coordinator
This is a morsel of my story and becoming a part of FoodFutures.
FoodFutures is the first role have taken in a while that focuses on food and health. I joined the partnership in October 2021 after reading the strategy and job role. I thought, ‘anyone that uses love in their documents, I can align with that’.
Like all human beings I eat and drink food and water and so I truly know I am in relationship with Earth, who I see as a mother. To have the opportunity to work and talk to others that share this connection was and still is exciting. I remember asking at the interview, “so how are you planning to achieve this strategy?”
I received the response: ”together, we plan to find out”.
I get this approach. It’s never the quick route and it requires a lot of patience, and looking at the bigger picture. Yet it fosters, rewards and develops deep-rooted relationships and longer-term change.
Having spent almost 15 years working in the health service and training as a dietitian 20 years ago, I have experienced the incongruence of short-term thinking and planning to live and address our everyday challenges. Challenges that can be found at an individual level and a whole planetary level.
Making the connection between who you are and what you eat whilst understanding the ever increasing complications of how we affect our personal health and environment through our food choices is often mind blowing. I am grateful I supported people to make the best choices for them by sharing the knowledge and wisdom I learnt and gained from text books, colleagues and research, alongside the wisdom from individuals I had the privilege of listening to – about life, food and everything in between. For me, working holistically is the only way of linking mind, body and spirit/soul. In my humble opinion, the body does not operate in isolation and neither does the human race or mother earth. The thoughts and beliefs we consume inform our choices, nutrition and bodies in every moment – this fascinates me.
Now I am working with FoodFutures Food and Environment Working Group as Coordinator. I look forward to sharing the journey with you all. Please do not hesitate to get in touch at Sarah@lessuk.org if you wish to connect.
- Anna Clayton, , Uncategorised, 0
Lancaster District Food Justice Partnership (LDFJP) is recruiting a development worker! Everyone should be able to access good food....
Featured from The Archive: The Faces Behind Our Food
- A year of inspiration 18 January 2024
- Our Food Stories: Andy Parkinson FarmStart Trainee 19 May 2022
- Felicity (Fil) Duirwyn – Filbert’s Bakery 17 October 2016
- Spud Club – Claver Hill 17 October 2016
- Rory Walker – The Borough Brewery 17 October 2016
- William Beadon – Thornton Meadow Mushrooms 17 October 2016
- Steph Stephenson – Stephensons Dairy 17 October 2016
- Ray Edmondson – Edmondsons Fresh Fish 17 October 2016
- Sharon Peacock – Cockerham Boers 17 October 2016
- Amanda Gorton – Mansergh Hall Farm 17 October 2016
- Gary Troughton – Dolphinholme Honey 17 October 2016
- Alan Schofield – Growing With Nature 17 October 2016
- Bruce Crowther – The FIG Tree 17 October 2016
- William Howard – Billy’s Eggs 17 October 2016
- The Faces Behind Our Food – Introduction 28 September 2016